Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Rainbow

Remember, if you've read this already, scroll down. This post will stay up top throughout the month of June ~ but that doesn't mean it will be the only post throughout the month of June! And I'm a comment whore so don't leave me hanging! :)


A newly discovered blogger had this posted earlier in the weekend...

Here's a challenge from Kelly Stern at Rambling along in life... with a Stern point of view. ... I encourage my fellow bloggers to post this picture on your blog and let Kelly know. Celebrate Diversity.

It is that time of the year again where I post a photo that shows the rainbow and ask everyone to pass it around in hopes of spreading the idea of diversity. It may not be as pretty as last years, but it is more of the point I am trying to make. This is a rainbow created by different forces in nature (a little sunshine, water and wind). Last year there were over 100 of you who participated in my challenge and this year I want more. As I find the picture on sites, I will link to that site here in this post. I will try and keep this post at the top of the page all month long with links to the other sites. This challenge is not just about being accepted as a gay man, but it is about societies around the world learning to accept people for being themselves... diversity. Gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, skinny or fat... we need to be a little more accepting these days. The world is a mean place, let's work to make it a little nicer by showing this colorful rainbow that formed thanks to the right angle of the sun and a slight breeze across the pond. Mother natures way of saying she approves of this challenge... shouldn't we all. (Thanks Though Lovers Be Lost!)



Now, being the computer goob that I am, I cannot post the picture on my blog and just leave it there. Instead, I will ~ like Kelly, the original author of this ~ simply try to keep this post at the top or near the top of the blog for the month of June. What this means is you, lovely and loyal readers, need to scroll down past this post in order to get to the most recent one. Takes a bit more time but totally worth it, don't you think? So...scroll...there's a new one down there. ;)

Recently, I was asked why I, a straight female, was so concerned with homosexual rights. I was ready with my standard answer (I get asked a version of that question a lot; just insert "black" or "civil" or "refugee" or "poverty" or whatever isn't white, straight and female into the question where it currently reads "homosexual.") My standard answer is How in the name of the Goddess can I not be concerned? Just because it doesn't affect me directly doesn't mean it doesn't affect me directly.


They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant

Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up. ~ Martin Niemoller (from the NE Holocaust Memorial version of the quote)


Evil is not to be traced back to the individual but to the collective behavior of humanity. ~ Reinhold Niebuhr

If you don't like the way the world is, you change it. You have an obligation to change it. You just do it one step at a time. ~ Marian Wright Edelman

Those are Pobble Thoughts, with a little help from some friends. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee ~ and a whole hell of a lot more.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put, and thank you!!

Krystal said...

My son had to memorize that poem for school.

kimber said...

Freedom to be unique is a beautiful gift, an inspiration, and a human right. Great post, Pobble.

Graziella said...

Where's the Sunday Poll? :( I was looking forward to it...

Unknown said...

Thank you sooooo much for taking the challenge... and thank you soo much for a very nice post... You have hit the nail on the head... you made me tear up... thank you thank you thank you!

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Pobble,

Thanks for posting that poem. Sadly, people do not realize that that type of thing CAN happen again when people do not stand up to bigots and hate merchants. Also thanks all your comments on my blog. I'm glad you like the eye candy!

2 Dollar Productions said...

The picture is quite nice, and well worth displaying for a month.

I like your response to the rights question as well because it seems to boil down a general principle thing, and being able to articulate your position well is usually few and far between these days. Nice one.

christine mtm said...

mlk jr said: "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." while he was in a jail in birmingham and getting flack from other clergy for being there.

nRT said...

I hope you don't mind I copied your quotes. Great post, if everyone would try to understand we are one race the HUMAN RACE...
it would be a peaceful place to live for all.

D-Man said...

A wonderful post. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll post the rainbow picture when I get back from vacation. The Niemoller quote always gets me.

Rose said...

I love the entire post. You are so right withfighting for everybody to have equal rights. eventually if you don't fight, something will come up against you or another person that you love. Thanks for joining the online reading club. Since you are an author we will all purchase your book even just to give a review. Rosemarie wants to support all authors in the reading club. I'll submit your title for August since they are doing Kimberly Lawson Roby for July.

Hermes said...

Hey! Just happened by and read your blog for the first time. Hope I'm not breaking etiquette by posting a comment. What gets me is the "tolerance" argument. I hate how it sounds. "We should TOLERATE other people", like thet are loud neighbours or something... unpleasant but a reality. I like that you used "acceptance" throughout. Thanks!

CrackerLilo said...

I have always loved that poem, and hated that he died as he did. May we all remember that lesson.

Aisha T. said...

Thanks, BP. Great entry. Anyone being treated unfairly or injustly is everyone's problem. Being apathetic doesn't change it.

Blue Dog Art said...

Hi Pobble. Just thought I'd show my blogger self here after an extended absence. Hope you are well.

Belizegial said...

That's a great thought. Glad I stopped by in time to see the rainbow.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I added you to my blogroll. Could you take a look and see if my site is worthy to be on your roll? :-)