Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

Today is the Divine M's birthday. We've been together a long time. In honor of her, the Sunday Poll Question...

Question: Who is your best friend and how did you meet? (Seriously, I'd like to know!)

Pobble Answer: The Divine M. Now, I know you're thinking of the Lovely Cats or the Muppet. The Lovely Cats is my sister ~ and if you have siblings, you know the relationship between siblings and best friends is different. No, we're not related by blood ~ and she's more my sister than BioSis is so... And the Muppet? Well, he's the Muppet. There is no explanation for us. But my best friend? That's the Divine M. We met in college as transfer students. At the university we attended, they held transfer orientation alongside freshman orientation. Later in life, 5 years doesn't make that big a deal. Between 17 and 22 it's HUGE. Especially when the 22 year olds have been out on their own, doing their own thing since they were 17 or 18. We were even forced to sit alphabetically. At one point, the woman doing the orientation called us men and women ~ and then asked how many of us were shocked to be called that instead of boys and girls. The woman sitting next to me made a low noise in her throat, very much like a moan about the same time I rolled my eyes. Our eyes met and we each groaned a little louder. Then the woman running orientation asked a very beautiful blonde to pass out papers. This little boy was Really pretty. I made an appreciative noise and the woman next to me said something like "Yeah, that's not hard to look at." When I agreed, she said "I'm the Divine M." "I'm the Boston Pobble." "Think there's a bar around here?" "It's Boston. There has to be." And we've been together ever since. Sometimes, we've gone months without being in touch. We've gone years without seeing each other. It doesn't matter. She's still my best friend. Happy Birthday, Divine M. LYMY.

Your answer...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

11 comments:

Jaded said...

I have two...

First, Perry, my hairdresser. I met him when he first did my hair. I was 17, he was 22. We've been very close ever since. He used to send me cards and care packages when I was in college. He has questionable taste in men, but I think he's finally realizing the type of relationship he deserves. I hope he finds it this time.

Second, Richard. We met on the first day of our freshman year of college...I was 18, he was 21. He was a transfer student. We just hit it off immediately. Richard has impeccable taste in men. He's been with his partner longer than I've been married to Mr. J. (which will be 12 years in December) He lives by you, Pobble. They're in Jamaica Plain.

I see Perry every 5 weeks, religiously, 'cause that's how often I get my hair done. We also do the whole email/IM thing, and hang out from time to time. Richard, I don't see as much. Actually, I haven't seen him in years. I miss him like crazy, but, we're in touch regularly. Your heart doesn't know anything about distance etc...it just knows who it loves, and I love these two men beyond words.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have lots of friends but a best friend? Ummm...let me see, a best friend is someone who I can call no matter the time of day or night no matter what is happening and know they'll be there...I think? They can do the same for me by the way. No matter how long it's been since we've seen each other, when we are together it's like it was just yesterday we saw each other and can pick up right where we left off.

I guess that would be Sandi or Ginny or Lisa. Hmmm, three, does that count? I used to live across the street from Lisa and our babies have grown up together. Her son is deploying to Iraq soon.

Ginny I met at a bereavement support group. She was one of the facilitators.

Sandi, I met in an online child abuse survivor group and we discovered we lived in the same town. Weird I know but there ya have it.

My list would have been different 10 years ago but all the people I would have claimed then have disappeared from my life thanks to religion. Oy.

BostonPobble said...

Jaded ~ What great stories! Glad to hear Perry is realizing what he deserves.

Comment Deleted ~ anybody want to fess up?

Traci ~ Ah, the Lovely Cats would fit in your definition right along with the Divine M. Whatever labels you put on these people, though, they are a gift!

nRT said...

This might be corny but I married my best friend. We met in college, he was a second year Rad Tech and I was a first year. We ended up doing our clinical at he same hospital. He had a girl friend and we were just friends. There was a break up and our friendship developed. We got an apartment together in JP and got married one year later. That was 1982.
He still is my best friend and I am grateful he puts up with me..I can be a bit of a crank some days.

2 Dollar Productions said...

I met my best friend in college, and the decision to live together freshman year was born out of a mutual fear of getting some crazy roommate who would commit unspeakable acts.

So we went with a relatively know quantity, and it turned out to be one of the luckier decisions I've ever made.

BostonPobble said...

Nancy ~ I don't think it's corny at all. I think it's lovely. *sigh*

$$ ~ Don't you love it when seemingly random decisions turn out so well?

Graziella said...

I don't have one, yet. I have best friendS. It seems like each of my close friends provides me something specific and different than each of my other closest friends. I'd like to think of Brit becoming my best friend, and we're nearly there. But that role takes time. Who are my best friends? Brit, Chiquita, Pobble, Remy and Tiger. I agree that sister relationships are different than best friends, but at the same time, I have two of them and they are also my best friends because they too provide specific things that a best friend would.

BostonPobble said...

Graziella ~ *blush* and thanks.

Spider Girl said...

My best friend is Tai (whose blog you read). I have two other rather special friends who round out my trio of Special Friends but I count Tai as my best because (among other reasons) I have known her FOREVER.

Well, actually since "Dragon Days" at the Cumberland Library way back in the summer we turned eleven years old.

It was a summer book-reading program for children and so the first thing that cemented our friendship was a love of books. It's continued to this day. :)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Diane. She was 34 with 4 kids when I met her in a printing factory we worked at. Read: sweatshop. I was 19, and she disliked me immediately, having a problematic teenager of her own; she was fed up with teenagers. I was terrified of her, and kept my distance as much as I could.

But when I began to be bullied by another terrible person there, she asked me about it, and then stepped in and saved my ass, with ferocity. We've been tight friends since, despite our age difference.

We started a lawn mowing business and worked our ass off in hot sun. I won custody of her daughter when she fell under investigation for something terrible her (ex) husband did. We have fought and laughed and cried and laughed and drank and laughed and shopped and laughed...hung on for dear life during some big crises.

And she just called me and said "I think I'm going to go visit your mother every now and again, she seems lonely. Is that ok?"

She takes my breath away.