Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Babies - NOT an Obituary!

The Babies are Lionel and Daisy. A few years ago, my therapist and I decided I was doing really well, had worked through A LOT of issues (VERY hard work yet oh so worth it!) and was at a place where I could terminate with her. Under one condition: I get a dog. Because she was concerned about my ability to love something new, my ability to accept and to return unconditional love. Now, my ability to love those whom I already loved wasn't damaged at all. My ability to love someone new ~ tenuous at best. So, if I would get a dog, we could terminate. If I wouldn't, I had to keep dragging my butt into her office every week in order to keep an eye on this whole love-thing. After much thought and research, I decided a dachshund would be great. Being a rescue-type-o'gal, I started looking at dachshund rescue organizations. I even knew what I wanted: a dachschie between the ages of 6 and 8, already housebroken, located somewhere here in New England. Oh my goodness, were there some cute dogs out there and available. So cute.







I didn't send a single email of inquiry.




Then, one day, while scrolling through a national database looking for a single New England dachshund, I saw this picture. I remember saying out loud "there you are." They were 12 and 13. They were not housebroken. They were living in Virginia. They could only be adopted together. So much for youngish, housebroken, in New England and one. These were my babies.

So I finally sent a letter of inquiry. A lovely woman wrote me back, telling me that she could not hold dogs and that there were several other families interested in Lionel and Daisy but that she really liked my email the best so she hoped it would work out that we ended up together. At which point, their behaviour changed. When she took them on home visits, they started snapping. Or being shy. Or peeing Everywhere. Or something. After over a year of being perfectly behaved babies. The point is, none of the other families ended up wanting them. The lovely woman wrote and said "Pobble, I think they're waiting for you."

We met in NY state and they were mine from the minute she took them out of their travel crate. And I was theirs. Even she said she had never seen them react to anyone the way they reacted to me ~ even when they were being good before their adoption behaviour changed.

I've known from the beginning we were on borrowed time. Sure enough, my Daisy is getting sick. She is often confused, can't climb stairs and has slowed waaaaay down. There is a lot of whimpering and sleeping. Lionel is protective of her ~ but he is getting crotchety himself in his old age. Both their livers are failing and her kidneys are going. They have their bi-annual check up early next month. I'm expecting to have to make the hard decision. I know what it will be. I will hate it. Because they did what they were supposed to do. They reminded me how to keep loving. So, here they are, in all their glory. An excellent reminder to keep loving...






























Those are Pobble Thoughts ~ and Pobble Babies. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

14 comments:

Momo said...

I'm so touched by the story of your babies. They seem so sweet!

It's seems like it was meant to be...and your love is reciprocated.

It's a great feeling to love and help helpless animals!

kimber said...

Your babies are beautiful, Pobble, and your photos perfectly capture their love for you... The universe conspires, and brings a soul that fits the empty crannies in our wee little lives -- or, in your case, two!

Hermes said...

I hope you're saving for their college funds. Babies should have secure futures with plenty of options open to them.

BostonPobble said...

Momo ~ It really was meant to be from the beginning. :)

Wolfgrrrl ~ You are right, the Universe gives us what we need. Even when what we need are two, unhousebroken, senior babies. Maybe especially then.

GOML! ~ One of the joys of adopting senior dogs is that they came to me with degrees in paws. Daisy's dissertation on the Philosophy of the Smell is still considered a seminal moment at the University. And Lionel graduated top in his class from charm school.

Graziella said...

I'd never been a huge fan of weaner dogs, but these little guys won my heart! It's funny how hounds choose their humans when we listen.

Spider Girl said...

I'm just so happy there are people out there who are willing to adopt older animals. That's a beautiful thing in itself.

It's hard when pets (well, babies, you're right) get old. You KNOW they won't be with you for very much longer, but you cherish the time they are. (My old kitty is 18 years old and starting to show it)....

I'm glad Lionel and Daisy are so well-loved.

Jaded said...

I am in love with both of those babies.

It's getting harder and harder to face the inevitable...ugh. My oldest puppy is going to be 12 soon, and the other will be 9. I dread it, I do.

Just keep loving them as big as you can.

Anonymous said...

I love your babies. My husband had three doxies when we met and married. They are gone now and it broke our hearts to make the choices you have coming. I'm so glad they've had you and vice versa. This is a weepy making post sweetie.

BostonPobble said...

Graziella ~ They are amazing little critters, aren't they?

Spider ~ Yeah, you get it. ;)

Jaded ~ Luckily, they continue to make it very easy to love them VERY BIG!

Traci ~ I wept a bit in writing it. Still, wanted to have them up here for posterity.

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

Angels come in many forms...

ZooooM said...

Blogger ate my comment.

My heart goes out to you and your babies. I've been there.

It might feel like your heart is breaking, but it's actually just growing larger so you can share the good that is you with other animals later.

BostonPobble said...

Dagoth ~ Angels as dachshunds...Yep. That's about right. Thanks for the image.

Zoom ~ Thanks. And Boo on blogger!

Dreamer said...

I will never forget the feeling of waking up to someone's (yes, someone's) bark who reminded me so much of my own Alice...Daisy was as energetic as my baby...

Lionel was as loving and protective and freakingly adorable as Alice...

Apart and together, they were their own beings and their own best pals...together and apart they reminded me of my love for my own darling baby, Alice.

akakarma said...

They are adorable. Thanks for sharing. I recently had to make that big decision for two of my cats who were both very sick for a long time. It is a serious and difficult one and broke my heart. Doesn't sound like you have any trouble loving that I can tell!?