Pages

Friday, July 13, 2007

Friendship, Movies and Harry Potter

The FAE took me to see Harry Potter tonight. I loved it. Considering the book was 900 pages long and the movie less than 2 1/2 hours, they did a damn good job. But even if they hadn't, I still would have loved it. See (slight spoiler alert!) ~ the love of Harry's friends and his love for them literally saves his life. And that's when I teared up. Not when I was "supposed to" but then.

Courage and bravery in the name of friendship is my favorite theme for movies, television or books. Mushy romances don't phase me. Death scenes? Moved but dry-eyed. There's a show on now called The Black Donnellys. It's okay but they are brothers and I don't get it. Because they are also jerks and family or not, I'd've cut 'em off long before now. However...

Star Wars ~ Han Solo doesn't come back to fight the Empire. He comes back to save Luke's ass.

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves ~ Little John swings his wife through a flaming forest because they know Robin will catch her. Know it.

Lethal Weapon...whichever ~ Murtaugh is stuck on a toilet with a bomb about to go off. The odds are he will die. They clear the room. Riggs won't leave.

Serenity (and the television series Firefly that spawned it) ~ Mal has no reason to take River home. It makes no sense. Yet he does. (And he keeps everybody alive and sane throughout the series, too. "Yeah, but she's our witch so cut her down!")

And countless others. It doesn't even matter if a movie is any good or not. I mean, come on, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves??!?? It doesn't matter if the acting is top notch or barely summer stock. It doesn't matter how often I've seen the movie. I will weep. Every time. Because friendships like that are what it's all about. And if you don't believe me, ask my friends. They know.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I agree completely, and I will cut a film, book or song a lot of slack if they build characters with this kind of motivation.

Anonymous said...

Again with the agreeing! I am blessed to have a few friends just like that. Who'd'a'thunk?

Dreamer said...

That's what I was trying to tell those staunch book readers who just have to have the movie like the book...it brought across the idea of the book perfectly...Because the idea of a boy who'd die for his friends and friends who would die for that boy, no matter how hormonal he could've been at the beginning of the movie...It was wonderful.

nRT said...

I can not wait to see the movie. I too love a good character and friend ships. I cry at the 'stupidest' times. Oh well, it makes me , me.
glad we are on the same page, I will ask for some suggestions for books or movies when i run out of ideas
its always a pleasure reading your blog...

Tai said...

Yup. I gotcha completely.