Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

Another week without a post in between Poll Questions. Eeek! Summer is still moving quickly...

So, without further ado, a fun, mindless Sunday Poll Question:

Who is (are) your hero(s) and why?

Pobble Answer: I have three heros. Nelson Mandela. I cannot imagine having the strength to fight the way he did ~ nor the sense of self and peace he must have had to forgive. Julie Taymor. She is the first woman to win the Tony for Best Director of a Musical. Growing up, I thought it would be me. How can I not have her as a hero, since it was her? And finally, John Adams. In light of my completely missing the Fourth of July here in cyberspace, I'm going to spend a little bit of time on him. John has, over the last few years, started to come into his own as historians and biographers have remembered that he was indeed instrumental in getting this country started. And yes, we are indeed on a first name basis. :) The man was obnoxious. A bully. Stubborn. Always right, in his opinion. And I would imagine annoying as hell to be around. (I'm obnoxious and disliked, you know that sir...) And yet...He was one of the greatest minds the world has ever known. The confluence of minds that occured in that room in 1776 was and continues to be unparalleled. It was led by John Adams. Yes, it was voiced by Thomas Jefferson. Kept under control (and perhaps manipulated a bit) by Benjamin Franklin. Still, it was led ~ bullied, pushed, badgered ~ by John Adams. As with Mandela, I cannot imagine the strength, the will, the sheer bull-headedness that he must have had to make happen what happened. So ~ those are my heros.

Your answer...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Jaded said...

Is anybody there? Does anybody care? Does anybody see what I see?

And thus a friendship was formed.

No time for the hero reply, but I will get to it later this week.

Graziella said...

My Hero. Hmmmm...generally my hero's are people that do amazing things despite the odds and make a valuable contribution to society. I also think that there are so many people that fit this category, it is refreshing. Because there's a lot of terrible things going on in the world, and yet there are so many good things too. I respect Al Gore for becoming so active in educating the public on environmental issues, because if you just focus on social hero's, we still will kill our earth and won't have a place to be. But social hero's are just as important to me. Things that Opera and Madonna have done to help educate girls in impoverished parts of the world, are remarkable. My grandfather rising above his ignorant background and attained his pHD and becoming the cornerstone of my family is also remarkable. Artists and authors are also hero's to me. But I think that the most important part of this question, is the underlying question, what is important to you? And looking at hero's can be a good way to find this out about folks.

Hermes said...

Good question. My ideas of what a hero is were born in comic books when I was a child. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I think the graphic art form is undervalued and important. The mythical archetypes of Western culture survive in this medium (albeit in a minimal form). A hero has to have unparalleled power in some regard. A hero must have the ability to destroy and ruin unchecked and unstoppable. Yet, a hero does not profit or misuse power but protects and aids those who require it - even at considerable personal expense and for no real glory or recognition. No one lives up to those standards. Power corrupts and I don't know of many who have managed to stay clean in the real and dirty world of power and politics.

Anonymous said...

I have no heroes dear pobble.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

My hero: My best friend Di, 16 years my senior, who lost her 17-yr-old son to suicide, in 1987, when my own son was 9 months old. She stumbled, fell, raised 3 more kids, with grace most of the time, and other times without a shred of it, and you could kiss her ass if you thought less of her for it. She holds the bar for strength, dignity, and grace...that I measure my own against.

Anonymous said...

Always a tough question... but, when I look around...

Mom... deserted by an abusive alcoholic husband, at times worked three jobs, and raised two kids, and maintained her sense of humour. When asked why she never dated or remarried, her reply was always "I f**ked up once, and I'm not in the habit of repeating my mistakes... that enough of an answer for you?"

Terry Fox... lost a leg to cancer as a young man, got the idea and did it, to run across the country, to raise a dollar for every person in the country for cancer research. Cancer won the battle, but his memory lives on. He put those who were battling cancer ahead of his own self.

Any every day person, just an average joe, who steps up to the plate without being asked to and doing something outstanding, and then disappearing back into the woodwork again.

Judy Shepard... turned the homophobic murder of her son into the chance to make a difference in the lives of millions of others, gay and straight, in the fight to eliminate hate crimes of all types.

Those are my heroes.