Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Right to Offend, Pt. 2

The entireity of this post was almost " 'Just' shut the fuck up." However, in the interest of being a little more productive than that, I'll phrase it differently.


Recently, I have had several conversations about relationships. Some have been about my relationship with Lithus. Some have been about other people's relationships. Here's what struck me: people (generally) accept things in their own relationships while being incredibly judgemental about things/aspects of other people's. In other words, we tend to be hypocrites. So "just" shut the fuck up. No, wait ~ I'm attempting to be more productive...


We are hypocrites out of love, our concerns for our friends' well-beings, with their 'best interests' at heart or even sometimes just to be "right." Still, we are hypocrites.


The phrase "S/He just needs to..." comes to our lips far too often. Because, folks, if it was "just" that simple, it would have been done by now. Also, the fact that you or I might need to "just need to..." in the same situation does not mean that the person in question "just needs to" do a damn thing.


None of us ~ not one ~ has a perfect relationship. Anyone who claims to is lying to us, themselves or both. And all of us have different deal-breakers. Yet we tend to get angry, frustrated and judgemental when other people's deal-breakers are different from our own. As if we, and only we, have the secret to a healthy relationship.


When I said that, however, in one of the aforementioned conversations, the response was "No, Pobble. Healthy is healthy. It's the same for everyone." Well. No. Eating toasted coconut will kill me. Literally. I go into anaphylactic shock and, if not treated, will die within minutes. It is the single most unhealthy food on the planet for me, including anything cooked in transfats. Does this mean you should stop eating toasted coconut? Hell no. Because it's not unhealthy for you.


"But Pobble, relationships are different." Why? How? I know a woman who is married to a man I think is an asshole. I simply do not like him, as hard as I've tried out of love for the woman. Guess what? Their marriage works for them. It's healthy for them.

So, I have learned over the last few years to keep my mouth shut. No, I'm not perfect. I still step in where it's really none of my business sometimes. I often roll my eyes at choices I see in other relatioships and thank the Goddess I'm not in that situation. More often than not, though, it ends with the eye rolling and the TTG. It doesn't include judgement any longer. I will look for cruelty and/or abuse. That's different. That's when I must step up. But just because I'm grateful I'm not involved with that person? Just because I think he's an asshole or she's crazy? Nah. That's none of my damn business. Because I really hate hypocrisy.


And Lithus and I put up with shit from each other that would make other people crazy. I know this. I do not claim it to be a perfect relationship. However, TTG, it is healthy for us and works for us. So go ahead and roll your eyes at my relationship ~ or someone else's relationship. Be grateful you're not in those relationships. Mutter that you don't understand how we can be in these relationships. All that is fine. Just know there's something in your relationship that makes us roll our eyes too. And "just" shut the fuck up.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

Rose said...

This post is so deep and you are so right. Gurl, I laughed on the first line. I think people, myself included need to realize that we should not complain or make negative comments about others and their relationships, because we are all so different and each of us deal with life, issues, problems so differently. This made me really think.

Graziella said...

Wow. I'm curious as to what started that train of thought. I'm sorry if I did that. I agree with the points outlined.

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

Telling someones heart anything is just a waste of breath, because the heart does not listen, it has no ears, and the only language it understands, it what it feels. I used to think that my mind ruled and when it came to relationships, my mind had the final say as to what was good for me and what wasn't and who I thought was the right person for me...it took a long time but I eventually found out who was really in charge... No matter what your mind says, or anyone else's mind says, if your heart says "fall"... You Will Fall...

Jaded said...

When speaking about being married, the inevitable question is always "happily?" I find it strange that the majority of people I've run into would even ask that question, but, ok, I'll play along. My answer has always been:

If by happily you mean that I only WANT to wring his neck and don't actually DO it, then yes.

Any relationship takes work. We get on each other's nerves from time to time, but so what? That doesn't mean that we don't love each other, it only means that we're human. Imagine that.

Two complete individuals coming together form something entirely new. It's not only new for them, it's new and unique to the world, because in the history of man, you are the only two who could form such a entity. So, while people can offer general advice, they can't possibly know what glue it is that holds two people together. Of course, if you're in an abusive relationship, etc., I don't give a damn if it's super crazy glue, I'm gonna tell you to get the eff out, but I think you know what I mean.

Another thing I say quite often when people offer me advice about some situation or another when I haven't given any indication that I wanted the opinion is:

Thank you for your humble, yet unsolicited opinion...which in words you'll better understand means...WHO ASKED YOU?!

When a person you care about has found someone with whom they are happy...someone with whom the glue is strong...you don't have to like their significant other. You're not the one investing in a relationship with that person. But you DO have to show your friend respect by treating their partner well, and by not offering your negative opinions at every turn... in other words, we need to shut the fuck up sometimes. If advice is solicited, give it freely and let it go. What the other person chooses to do with it is up to them. (although it does irk me when someone incessantly asks for advice and then does NOTHING, but that's a whole different situation. I digress...)

I do so love you.

Anonymous said...

I have always subscribed to this:

If it happens inside my own four walls, it's my business. If it happens outside of my own four walls, shaddup and sit on your hands, as it is none of my business.

As long as you're happy, the rest of the world can bugger off :-) (how's that for getting my English up?)

Dreamer said...

Love you...tons...btw...

nRT said...

I am a listener and I am careful not to give advice that is unwanted. I do not care who is with whom or who does what with who ever, as long as they respect me and my space.
I am a huge butt-in-ski when I see abuse, especially to a child.
So everyone around me can do as they wish but don't mess with the kids...and no hitting in front of me or you will hear my unwanted advise.
Peace and Happiness to you BP

Anonymous said...

I 'just' love you.

Aisha T. said...

Whoa! Great post. Made me take a step back and really look at myself.

Hermes said...

Sartre didn't believe in love. He said that true connection between two people was a silly idea that would require ESP or something. He would tell us we delude ourselves into believing in love because that is the context in which we were raised and we act according to our experience.

But then, Sartre did live with Simone deBeauvoir for 20 yrs.

So, if you want my advice...no, wait.

If you really want to be happy you should... no, that's not right.

Um... I love my wife!
G'bye!