Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Yes, I'm Patriotic

A blogger friend of mine was talking about a shirt he wears, and passes out to other veterans, that reads "Freedom Isn't Free: I Paid for It." He mentioned the store he usually orders them from, as well.

Now, I love this motto. I believe in this motto. Lithus and I have been trying to think of a small gift for M-O-M. This shirt is perfect. YAY!

So, I went to the website, and found the shirt. I looked around the site. Lots of 2nd Amendment (right to bear arms) stuff. Lots of Unapologetically American stuff. And while I may roll my eyes at the vehement nature, I can still respect it. After all, truth is, I, too, am unapologetically American. God, I do love my country.

Then I made a mistake. I read their marketing copy. They have a coexist bumper sticker, only instead of looking like this:

Theirs looks like this:


Ummm...okay. Let's say that what they are saying is that people who don't like weapons and people who do need to coexist. I recognize I'm reaching here, but I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But then I read this on their website:

Tired of seeing all the redundant COEXIST, Free Tibet, and Save the Whales stickers that do-nothing hipsters and hippies sport on their cars, we’ve decided to strike back with a variety of bumper stickers and window decals that will show the public that you’re a doer—not a talker. 

And now I have a problem. See, you can't point to the 2nd amendment, and ignore the 1st. Since there is no national religion, and there cannot be a national religion, we do indeed all have to coexist. And if you are going to claim to be a patriotic American, I shouldn't have to point you to the Constitution and remind you of the whole thing.


At this point, I could turn this into a political rant about how I can be called A LOT of things, and hippie is nowhere on that list. Nor is "do-nothing." And while "talker" certainly is, so the fuck is "doer." However, I'm now going to take a deep breath and not rant.

Instead, I found the same shirt, from a company that doesn't insult me, or my patriotism. And I will give that company my money ~ and my friend the shirt he so richly deserves.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: