Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Who Is Lena Dunham?

Apparently, I have fallen out of touch. I admit, I have at least heard of the woman before, but can't think of where or why. She does...something...with television. I think. She is also, so I'm told, a feminist icon, and a left-winger. Cool. Still don't know her.

But as of this week, the internet is abuzz. She has published a book. In it, she refers to herself as performing the same actions as "basically any sexual predator" on her little sister.

What The Fuck.

So, I went and did my own research. Sure enough, a right-wing website posted a blog article on how she sexually molested her little sister. And she has fired back, with a self-described "rage spiral" on twitter. Demands for a retraction. And threats of a lawsuit.

Here's my problem with the whole thing ~ 

First, let's be clear, I have no idea if this constituted sexual molestation or not. I certainly found myself uncomfortable and unamused reading this "humorous" excerpt from her book. But more than my discomfort, her sister has weighed in and said it wasn't molestation, it was kids being kids. You know what, I get that, too.

So what's the problem? The problem is cute, white liberal girls have to face the consequences of their words, just like everyone else. If you actually and for real call yourself a sexual predator, you don't get to then turn around and become oh so offended when people call you out for being a sexual predator. Cute, white, liberal girls don't get to flounce off angry when people don't find them funny. And cute, white, liberal girls certainly don't get to sue right wing publications for quoting the cute white liberal girl correctly and in context.

We aren't exempt, my fellow cute, white, liberal girls/women. We have to be responsible for our own words, thoughts, and actions. We don't get to demand to be taken seriously and then throw a temper tantrum when we are, just not how we meant.

Again, I don't know if Lena Dunham is a sexual predator or not. I'm inclined to say not, but before this week, I had hardly registered her on my radar, so I don't know. I do know she is currently engaging in some White Women Tears kind of shit. Which automatically keeps her from being any feminist icon of mine.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: