Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Why I March

Yes, Lithus and I attended the New Orleans rally in solidarity with Ferguson and in memory of Michael Brown tonight. We didn't do it for cookies. Or because we're "good" white folks. We did it because...

* An injustice was done. When Michael Brown was murdered. And again when Darren Wilson wasn't even indicted for that murder. And almost every night in between when the people doing the most harm were the people behind the badges and the riot gear.

* A family has lost their child. I cannot imagine. If it had been one of mine... I cannot imagine. And here's the thing: I don't have to. Mine are white. Mine live in the "good" neighborhoods. No cop is going to think mine are "demons" and kill them.

* Black lives matter. Yes, we chanted it as we marched down Canal. But I believe it. I know it. And, even if I didn't, it's still true. My belief in the value of black lives doesn't impact that value at all.

* The 1st Amendment must matter as much as the 2nd. But it can only matter if we make use of it. Otherwise, it's just words on the paper.

Do I march? Yes. You're damn right I do. And I scream myself hoarse, and I lead with NO JUSTICE to be answered NO PEACE when the leader gets hoarse and drops out herself. And yes, I hope I make a difference. To someone. Somewhere.

But I had nothing on the line tonight. And at the end of the night, I got to walk home, unmolested, without being followed by any of the police cars that followed us. So the one chant I wouldn't join was I AM ... MIKE BROWN. Because I'm not. And never will be.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: