Pages

Saturday, November 01, 2014

A Fascinating Thing

Or maybe it's just fascinating to me, but I'm fascinated by strange things. Back when I was writing novels, I stopped reading fiction, almost completely. It's been almost 4 years since my last one went live, and I'm just now getting back into reading books.

Guess what's happening now that I write blogs for a living? Yeah... So, I apologize for the dust that has accumulated over here at Pobble Thoughts. I shall endeavour to keep it a bit busier around here.

Along those lines....

We ended up, completely unexpectedly and at the last moment, home for Halloween and Samhain. We got back on Wednesday in time to discover the Krewe of Boo parade was rolling Thursday night. YAY! It was such fun. Sadly, none of my pictures turned out well this year, but that doesn't mean there aren't stories. (ETA: And it doesn't mean I didn't post a few of them anyway over at Stilettos...)

We had kids on either side of us. When the float with the balloon animals went by, and the very little guy next to Lithus couldn't quite reach before the float moved on, Lithus chased the float, got the balloon dog, and delivered it to its owner. When the little girl next to me was never quite faster than her brothers to get to the beads, I made sure she had some. And yes, when the drunken That Girl tourists tried to squeeze in ~ and squeeze the kids out ~ I made sure she understood that's not how we do it down here. The Krewe of Boo ain't Mardi Gras, people.

Then for Samhain last night, we had our traditional feast, honored our dead, and went out to enjoy our first Halloween in New Orleans. It was lovely from a religious standpoint, because the last 3 years, we've been in very religiously conservative places (Idaho, Montana, and Utah) so I have barely whispered hi to my dad, let alone gone into a full ritual. To be able to do so again was amazing.

But the celebration of Halloween in New Orleans is not to be underestimated, either, Holy cow. Not quite Mardi Gras ~ but close. Far closer than I would have expected.

Surprise ~ I dressed like a witch. :)

It was good night. Hope yours was as well. Tell me about it...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect

BostonPobble said...

So and So ~ It was. :)