Pages

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Back to High School


My Dear One has been interested in a girl I have not ~ not ~ liked for him. At all. She's a little player. She's cute and used to getting what she wants without worrying much about if she's hurting people along the way. Now, I have no problem with getting what you want because you're cute. I have a serious problem with not worrying about hurting people as you do so. She has a rivalry with another young woman who is also interested in my Dear One and I have always wondered if this was the real reason she was interested. In fact, several young women have things for my Dear One ~ the student, the actress, the ballerina. Any one of them would have been better for him in my opinion than this one. There has been nothing about this girl that has made me happy.

But my Dear One is crazy about her. So, I have been as supportive as I could be without being hypocritical or flat out lying. Last night, he tells me this chick is officially going out with someone else. Her reasoning is that she wants to get experience dating so that when she turns 17 and it's legal for her to date my Dear One, she will have had more boyfriends. Yeah. Right.

Turns out, in response, he has asked out the ballerina. Yay! I am so pleased! I am so relieved! I am so jealous! Yep. Gotta admit it. I feel like an ass, a cradle robber, and a pathetic female for it. No one who knows me, including myself, is surprised by this. Still... man. See, I know all the head stuff, all the intellectual stuff: the life experiences are so different; I'm an adult, he's barely one; I have done things he has never even dreamed of doing; blah, blah, blah. Because, like it or not, it's true. I'm jealous. Of a 17 year old dancer from Santa Fe, Texas. Hey, at least it is good for a laugh at myself and as a reminder that, while I'm happliy single right now, I will want to date again at some point.

Coo-coo-kah-choo, Mrs. Robinson...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

Spider Girl said...

Looking out for people you really like is complicated.

CrackerLilo said...

I can relate. You remember the posts about Milhouse, my teenage boyfriend? I was Milhouse's girl screener for a while, and none of them were good enough in my opinion, not one.

I'm glad he's getting some sense, and that he has you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Coo-coo-kah-choo, Indeed! Haven't we had this discussion before? And I've seen that half of a photo before, too! (ha ha ha) It's so hard to try and protect those we secretly have feelings for...yikes..

Carry on, Mrs. R, carry on...

The One

p.s. the unsigned comment on the post with all of the quiz thingies is me...i forgot to sign it...DUH!

christine mtm said...

whoo-hoo for the dear one. 'bout time.

BostonPobble said...

For the record, I approve of the ballerina. Am jealous of her ~ and I approve. Perhaps I am jealously approving. Or approvingly jealous. ;)

Rose said...

It feels great when they chose someone you care about/ or better still you approve of...

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

My son is 19; hence, between him and his friends, my home is graced with young beauties whose waists are smaller than my left thigh.

[grind, grind, grind] I love them one and all. [grit, grind, grit]

:-) Seriously, you just want what's right for you kid, don't you? In the meantime, hold your breath, have some wine.

sttropezbutler said...

I loved this post. I just loved this post. That's all I can say!

STB

Trudy Booty Scooty said...

awww :)

And ballerinas make me jealous too.

He's such a cutie!

I'm glad "not-good-enough-girl" is history.