Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Elder

Something I have always felt was out of sorts with our society is the fact that we don't encourage friendships between generations. One of my favorite movies is The Magnificent Seven. Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen. It's aesthetically pleasing as well as a good movie. Anyway (digressing...), at one point the village is trying to decide what to do. Finally, one of the men looks at the others and says "We'll ask the Old Man. He'll know what to do." But in this society, who is the Old Man? The Town Elder? The Wise Woman? The person who's seen it and done it and has the wisdom to look objectively at a situation and see it clearly? We don't encourage this mindset.

Both my parents were only children so I don't have aunts and uncles. What I was reminided of yesterday is I have appsrus. You've heard about him here before; you've probably read his comments (although he's been MIA for a while). He has been in my life ... forever. And yesterday, while I was dealing with yet more bullshit from my ex and I just needed someone to know what was going on, I called on my Elder.

He's not overly emotional yet he can express love and concern and support with very few words. And he always has. Yesterday was no exception. He gave me some good advice but mostly he just listened. He didn't judge, he didn't lecture, he didn't pity, he didn't play Trash Pobble's Mom. He was, however, there. Unquestionably, inarguably, undeniably there.

This should not be a rare thing. This should be something we all know we have when we need it. It's a shame that it is so rare. And I'm so grateful for him.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I have friends my age, 15 years my senior, 15 years my junior. I love being in the middle...guidance on one end and memories on the other.

Chin up, chest out baby, hang tough with that Ex. If that doesn't work, shine the BlogLight into the sky, and we'll all come running to save you!

CrackerLilo said...

I'm glad you have your elder.

I have several, some related to me and some not, and it's wonderful. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

*hug*

sttropezbutler said...

Now that I am the elder I enjoy contact with and from every generation.

STB

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just found out I rated a post -- even after being MIA for a while. You are very kind. One thing you may not quickly realise is that the intergenerational thing is a two way street. "Elders" who have younger friends stay more vital. And that's a good thing.

And you might enjoy the orighinal Japanese version of The Magnificent Seven.

Spider Girl said...

I was just waxing nostalgic about The Electric Company the other day. I don't remember Morgan Freeman specifically, but I'm glad he was part of my childhood. :)

My vote is for Harrison Ford, by the way. Although I agree with many of your choices also. what's not to like?