Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Confessions of a Slob

Hi. My name is Pobble and I'm a slob.

We all know that admitting a problem is the first step towards solving the problem. I, however, have never quite managed to take the next step. Actually, that's not true. I have taken the next step. And the next. And even a couple after that. I just took them in the wrong direction.

See, I used to be cluttered ~ very cluttered ~ but clean. Now? Now, sadly, I am just a slob. Yes, I had been known to buy new underwear until I got around to doing laundry but you could still eat off any surface in my home. I suppose you still could, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Several things have contributed to my downfall. First, came the joy of living alone. No husband or roommates to have to respect. Whoo-hoo! Freedom. Then came a pretty severe depressive episode (that's for another post but I won't be surprised or insulted if lightbulbs just went on for some people!) Let's suffice it to say that cleaning isn't really a priority when you're struggling every day to get out of bed at all. Finally, the decision to become a full-time writer. Little things like dishes and laundry seem so unimportant when compared to finding out the average January temperature in North Carolina or learning the definition of nugatory.

But you want the truth? Here it is ~ the truth is I'm just lazy. And it's finally caught up with me.

I've lived on my own a long time now. My last episode ended almost a year ago. There are plenty of hours in the day when I'm not working. But I don't clean, either. There are puppies to be snuggled and blogs to write. Friends to instant message and Harry Potter to read for the umpteenth time. Hell, if given the choice between cleaning my bedroom and studying my bellybutton, the bellybutton is going to win every time. It's kind of cute, actually.

So, while there are limits to my slobbishness (doggies' accidents get cleaned immediately and I change my sheets and towels regularly), I think I will embrace my slovenly nature. For now at least. Maybe it is a stage I will grow out of in time. And, if not, eventually Pauline can pay for maid service.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

Tai said...

We should ALL embrace our inner-slob!
(I'm giving mine a great big ol' hug right this very minute!)

Cheers!

CrackerLilo said...

The Boston Slobble!!! :-D

I had an outer slob, but she got pushed inwards after moving in with you-know-who, who has unreasonable expectations about the furniture she dusts staying dusted, not stepping on crumbs ten minutes after she vacuums, etc. I only do the kitchen and bathroom, because those are important to me, and alternate catbox duty.

kimber said...

I wear my slovenly behaviour like a badge of honour. Life is just too short to spend it, pushing around a mop.

christine mtm said...

slobs-unite!!!

love you

Trudy Booty Scooty said...

lol Hello my long lost sister! We were obviously separated at birth! I'm so glad to have finally found you! :)

Jaded said...

I think we're all actually quite normal and the idea that we all live in spotless houses with enough storage to hide everything neatly away is just some home interior catalog fantasy.

At least, if I tell myself that, I feel better about being a slob.

And I tell all my students that if you want your lesson in a clean house, then get on the waiting list for a Monday or Tuesday lesson, because there's no way it's gonna happen by Thursday or Friday. I clean once a week, period.

Hikaru said...

Oh yeah, I am totally the same way.

I'll never have a webcam for that reason alone.

dondon009 said...

You wrote this for me, didn't you! Somehow you knew that I needed a "wake up" call.

When I read this, I quickly glanced at the load [s] of laundry piled very high sitting about three feet from me...... I was off for three days, and I managed to
launder the underwear, sox thingy..... everything else remains.

Yes there are more important things.... the puppies to play with, blogs to read.....

Why did I think I was the only one?

Thanks~

Momo said...

This blog really speaks to me. I absolutely understand. I'm lazy to the core. And I enjoy lounging. I feel bad to not be cleaning, but I really enjoy lounging. And any sort of emergency cat mess gets cleaned up, but not cat fur (unless someone's coming over). I could talk about this lazy/slobiness forever, so I'll stop now.

sttropezbutler said...

God I am anal! This confirms it!

LOL

I just keep it simple. And I figure if you can't clean it in 30 mins to presentable you are living in a space that is to large. (This option doesn't apply to those with families...I am after all a single man!)

I also could care less about how anyone else chooses to live...cause I don't have to live there!

STB