Pages

Monday, February 06, 2006

Myth v. Reality

There used to be a statistic that was quoted as fact that the busiest day of the year for domestic violence shelters was the Monday after Super Bowl. Then people came along saying that was a myth created by ... someone.

I don't know if that statistic is accurate or not. Here's what I do know ~ I have worked at three different domestic violence shelters and numerous organizations that helped domestic violence victims/survivors. And in every place I worked, we received more calls on the Monday following the Super Bowl than any other Monday. Yes, we tracked them. That was part of our paperwork. Every Monday in all but one of the general human services organization, we would run numbers. And every Monday after Super Bowl was consistently busier than any other one Monday.

So, whatever else you are doing today, if the statistic holds up nationally or not, however you may feel personally about women (and men) in violent and abusive relationships, please, take a moment to be aware today. Give thanks if you are in a healthy, loving, supportive relationship. If you are not, please consider calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

WOW! I have such a hard time wrapping my head around that; I just had to ask my son who played tonight, and still I don't know. I am going to worry all day long tomorrow!

Spider Girl said...

I hope the statistics prove wrong this particular Super Bowl.

I wonder why that is...are people getting so choked up about their team losing that they take it out on their families? Boggles my mind.

BostonPobble said...

gnightgirl: the steelers (PIttsburgh) and the Seahawks (Seattle.) Steelers won. :)

Spider Girl: You pretty much got it in one. Painting with a broad brush here ~ abusers have gotten drunk and lost a lot of money. So, they attack the vulnerable person because they can't attack their team or their bookie or themselves for having bet in the first place. Or, they have won but she said or did something "to ruin the victory" or embarrass him in front of his friends or whatever. A client of mine once came to us because her batterer had killed her dog in response to her running out of some food or another and "making him look like a fool in front of his friends." Remember, these people don't need a reason to batter and abuse. They will find one. Okay, off the soapbox now before this response comment becomes its very own post.

Traci ~ this is a personal charge of mine. Human rights in general is my favorite cause. Domestic violence, though...education about that particular issue is one of my driving forces. It is my pleasure/duty to speak about it. My greatest sadness that I must.

Anonymous said...

I work for a district court judge. We average two domestic abuse petitions a week. Today, the Monday following the Super Bowl, we had two petitions. They were both particularly abusive.

Rose said...

Hopefully the statistics dropped this time around because this was a quiet superbowl-no real advertising.

Rose said...

Hopefully the statistics dropped this time around because this was a quiet superbowl-no real advertising.